History of Peninsula Volunteers
In July, 1947, a group of forward-thinking women founded Peninsula Volunteers, Inc., headed up by Beth Kuechler, with a purpose: to be charitable and foster community welfare. Towards that end the original group of 30 women set about to acquire funds and create programs. Their first project was the Stanford Day Care Nursery, with the cooperation of Stanford University. The nursery exists to this day under the care of Stanford. They also founded scholarships for deserving students. The scholarship programs expanded to different schools and continued until 1981. Slowly, the PVs expanded and added more members, first limiting themselves to 175 members. Today the Peninsula Volunteers have 300 members including Actives, Sustainers, Friends, Non-Residents and Provisionals.